NEW WORKS FESTIVAL SUBMISSION POLICIES
Review the following eligibility and submission criteria for our 2020 New Works Festival.
For an FAQ on our New Play Exchange submission process, click here.
For our general script submission policies, click here.
GENERAL FESTIVAL SUBMISSIONS
NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS - SUBMISSION OPPORTUNITY WILL BE LIVE ON NPX FROM 9/7/19 - 9/9/19
We are proud to produce our annual New Works Festival staged reading series. As Founding Members of the National New Play Network, it is our goal to showcase an exciting, diverse, and inclusive slate of plays that reflect the next phase of new work coming to the fore in the American theater and beyond. As part of this commitment, we are only accepting submissions through the New Play Exchange (NPX). NO HARD COPIES OR EMAILED SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Plays selected for our New Works Festival will receive rehearsed, semi-staged, public readings, a $100 playwright honorarium, a recommendation from our page to yours on the New Play Exchange, and a video of the performance and audience discussion. While we do not guarantee production of any New Works Festival scripts, several of our New Works Festival plays have gone on to production at KDT.
Our 2020 New Works Festival submission opportunity will be available to New Play Exchange members with uploaded, eligible plays from 12am CST on September 7th, 2019 until 11:59pm on September 9th, 2019.
Eligible plays must meet ALL of the following criteria to receive access to the opportunity:
1) SCRIPT MUST CLEARLY SPEAK TO KITCHEN DOG’S MISSION! PLAYS THAT DO NOT SPEAK TO OUR MISSION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR PRODUCTION!
2) Full-length play (no musicals; plays with minimal music may be considered)
3) Intended for adult audiences (Kitchen Dog produces work exclusively for audiences 14 and up. Theatre for Young Audiences will not be considered)
4) Unproduced (may have received a university production, workshop, or staged reading)
5) Production-ready (this is a showcase opportunity not a developmental one, especially since we are unable to provide travel funds for playwrights)
6) Requires no more than 8 actors
7) Script has not been submitted to our festival in the last two years (and not without substantial rewrites)
8) Only one submission per playwright; if more than one script is submitted, none of the plays will be eligible.
9) Script is accompanied by the required cover letter.
COVER LETTERS are required to accompany submissions. The letter should be addressed to “Kitchen Dog” and need not be more than one page in length, and should not be more than two pages. Cover letters must be submitted through the NPX opportunity under “Supporting Documents” - cover letters received through email will not count, and the accompanying play will be disqualified from submission. Plays submitted without a cover letter will be disqualified from submission. Cover letters should discuss the following:
1) A brief and accurate description of how your play aligns with Kitchen Dog’s mission statement
2) A detailed report of your submitted script’s production history and any intended productions as it aligns with our requirements above
3) A written acknowledgement that your play requires no more than 8 actors
4) Why you are interested in/hope to gain from working with Kitchen Dog and/or participating in our New Works Festival
D-FW LOCAL SLOT SUBMISSIONS
NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS - PLEASE CHECK BACK IN EARLY 2020
Playwrights currently based in the Dallas-Fort Worth area are encouraged to submit one unproduced, full-length script for the Local Slot of our annual New Works Festival. Scripts will be evaluated via a blind reading process. The script selected for the local slot will receive 15-20 hours of rehearsal with dramaturgical support from Kitchen Dog Theater Manager of Literary and Community Initiatives and NNPN Producer-in-Residence Haley Nelson, one public reading in June 2020, an honorarium for the playwright. Plays must meet the following submission and eligibility requirements:
Script Eligibility Requirements:
Full-length play (no musicals)
One play per playwright - multiple submissions will disqualify all submissions
Unproduced - (may have received a university production, workshop, or staged reading)
Previously submitted scripts are still eligible (as long as they still meet above criteria) But *IMPORTANT* please include a letter describing the details of the readings/workshop-- location, date, name of theater, etc.
Must be submitted within the submission window - plays received before or after will not be considered
Must be submitted by the playwright or playwright’s agent
Playwright must currently live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area
Scripts must be submitted via email, subject line: LOCAL SLOT, (Playwright’s First and Last Name)
Body of email must include a summary of the play’s production history, a statement about how the play relates to Kitchen Dog’s mission, and the playwright/agent contact information. Please include the playwright’s address - we’ll only use it for verification that the writer qualifies as a D-FW resident.
Script must be attached as a PDF. PDF file name must read: LOCAL SLOT, (Play Title).
Script must be a “blind copy” - the name of the playwright and/or agent, the production history, or any other identifying information must NOT be featured anywhere on the script, including the file name. Submitted plays that include the playwright’s name or contact info will be disqualified.
Questions about Kitchen Dog’s submission policies or your play’s eligibility? Please contact Haley Nelson, our Manager of Literary and Community Initiatives/NNPN Producer-in-Residence at email@example.com.